• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alternative toothpaste?

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Lately, commercial fluoride toothpaste is making my gums burn, quite painfully. I take this as a sign that I should stop using the stuff.

Can anyone recommend a toothpaste? Preferably nontoxic / herbal.

for ages i dipped a wet brush into baking soda and scrubbed away.

I wonder if its fluoride or sodium lauryl sulfate that is the problem. A lot of people have a sensitivity to that stuff and its an ingrediant in many toothpastes. Tom's of Maine is one brand that has some non-fluoride varieties and doesn't use ingredients like SLS.

I use 'THIS' for brushing. I have virtually no enamel left on my teeth (due to 6 years of anorexia/bulimia) - stupid me. It's an alright brand. However, not the same 'feel' as regular toothpaste. It takes some getting used to. My roomie doesn't like it much. I'm just super used to a shit ton of 'natural products'. ALLLLLL tyyypes.

71415.jpg

I'll second the Toms brand or Kiss My Face works great too. The natural ones aren't as "strong" tasting and are more pastey, I prefer them.

Toms is owned by Crest. Its corporate shit disguised as a health product.

Fluoride is toxic to the body, does not prevent cavities in any way, and calcifies around the pineal gland in the brain.

I fortunately live in a neighborhood where people are conscious of these things, and there are hundreds of small brands of all-natural toothpastes to choose from. Im apt to go for tea tree oil based things personally. I try to steer away with anything containing stevia or any other sweetener as it interrupts digestive processes, and makes brushing teeth after eating a meal a chore.

Of course fluoride is toxic, this is well established. Why do you think there's big bold text on the back of toothpaste tubes saying "DO NOT SWALLOW"? You're not supposed to INGEST toothpaste, you're supposed to brush your teeth with it, rinse your mouth and spit it out.

If you're paranoid about the BS fluoride conspiracy mind control rubbish, just use sodium bicarbonate and very diluted hydrogen peroxide, which costs next to nothing and doesn't contain anything harmful (unless you believe in the candida rubbish that all the alternative medicine types go on about, in which case you might want to avoid the bicarb because it's an EVIL ANTACID!!!!one1eleven!). There's no health benefit, though, unless you believe in the aforementioned fluoride conspiracy stuff, in which case you might get some placebo effect.

Lately, commercial fluoride toothpaste is making my gums burn, quite painfully. I take this as a sign that I should stop using the stuff.

Can anyone recommend a toothpaste? Preferably nontoxic / herbal.
Your best bet is to take a trip to your local health food store (or even grocery store if there's an organic/natural section) and try a small bottle of somethin'. Maybe talk with the store employees, ask them what they've heard works well. Keep us updated!

I personally don't have any recommendations as I'm still trying to finish up the fluoridated crap that gets bought and tossed aside by the other person in this house. 8)

Fluoride is toxic to the body, does not prevent cavities in any way,

I start work at 7.30am Monday, be there by 7.20am and I will show you that this statement is full of shit. Stick to running through jungles Wood. :\

^ Fluoride has been shown to cause more harm than good in certain situations, but the jury still seems to be out on the final verdict at the moment.

All I know is I grew up without fluoridated water and my teeth are just fine--Granted I got fluoride treatments and used conventional toothpaste. However, I feel if someone wants to use an alternative toothpaste, let 'em--They'll find out soon enough if it did somethin' to their teeth or not. :p

I have no problem if someone wants to choose a non fluoride toothpaste but to say that it does nothing to prevent decay and cavities is ignoring 100 years of solid scientific research. I have a first class hygiene department, as a result we can track quickly if a patient starts to need cavities restored because of decay as opposed to wear and tear. It is painfully obvious when a patient decides to refuse the fluoride treatment every 6 months as they are usually the same patients who suddenly require 3-4 new restorations. This is perhaps a small sample (6000 odd patients a year) but I also have to advantage of living in a city where fluoridated water was only introduce 2 years ago. Already the decay rates in our population of 1.5million has halved. It has meant that decay rates have matched the other capital cities in this country after being embarrassingly higher for the past 50 years.

^ Busty, that's pretty interesting that you've seen the decay rates just about halve in the past couple years. It'd be interesting to know if it really is due to the fluoride or not.

I only wish fluoride wasn't mandatory in the public drinking water, but that's another debate.

I only wish fluoride wasn't mandatory in the public drinking water, but that's another debate.
Isn't there any sort of filter around that can filter it out? If there is, it isn't that big an issue for those who can afford to filter their water. Perhaps it would be for those who can't, but that's yet another debate ;).

^ There probably is a filter that can filter it out, but I highly doubt it's available for home use.

^ Busty, that's pretty interesting that you've seen the decay rates just about halve in the past couple years. It'd be interesting to know if it really is due to the fluoride or not.

I think its pretty fucked up that Busty's professional anecdotal observations are challenged, but WOOD can talk total bullshit and it goes by completely criticized by staff. This forum is a swamp of faith-based healing and snake oil. :\

I wasn't challenging her professional observations at all, just remarking that it'd be interesting to know for sure, because I haven't heard of that--In the classes I'm taking, they talk about how fluoride can prevent decay, but not reverse it.